The Ocmulgee National Park & Preserve Initiative (ONPPI) is seeking the people’s help and support to make sure HR 4991 – the Ocmulgee Mounds National Historic Park Boundary Revision Act of 2014 – is added to the list of bills that will receive a legislative hearing in the House Subcommittee on Public Lands and Environmental Regulation the week of November 10, 2014. This hearing needs to happen in order for HR 4991 to make it to Congress, and the bill is the next step towards having a National Park and Preserve in Middle Georgia.
In June, HR 4991 was introduced by Congressmen Austin Scott (R-GA) and Sanford Bishop (D-GA) to expand the boundaries of the Ocmulgee National Monument to nearly 2,000 acres, designate it as the Ocmulgee Mounds National Historic Park, and approve the boundary study that could potentially expand it to nearly 50,000 acres with the National Park & Preserve designation. In July, a similar bill was introduced in the U.S. Senate by Senators Johnny Isakson and Saxby Chambliss.
“We know this is something our entire state wants based on the overwhelming support received to accept the boundary study that led to this game-changing legislation,” said Brian Adams, President of ONPPI. “We continue to be thankful for our leadership and community for their on-going support, and we need them now to help make sure HR 4991 gets the review our community has asked for and our area deserves.”
If you want a National Park in Middle Georgia, ONPPI is asking that you take the following quick and easy steps:
- Mark your calendars to make a call to Congressman Rob Bishop (Utah)’s office every day until November 10.
- Call Representative Bishop’s (Utah) office at 202.225.0453 to tell them you support HR 4991 and would like it added to the agenda to receive a legislative hearing in his subcommittee before year’s end.
- Sign a letter of support around town anytime at Ocmulgee Traders, October’s Second Sunday concert in Washington Park (October 12), the Mulberry Market in Tattnall Square Park (October 15), Jazz & Arts on Riverdale (October 25), or the Macon Octoberfest (October 24-25). ONPPI will be collecting these and mailing them in.
- Share this link on your social media pages, letting people know that you have personally contacted Representative Bishop’s Office to support HR 4991.
- Ask your friends on social media to join you in helping us bring a National Park to Middle Georgia by contacting Representative Bishop.
- Tweet your support to the legislators on the Subcommittee, tagging @ocmulgeepark in the tweet. Representative Bishop is @RepRobBishop and a complete list of members can be found at www.ocmulgeepark.org/support/
- Contact our Georgia Representatives Scott and Bishop’s and Senators Isakson and Chambliss’ offices to thank them for their support and for working together on these bills.
- Follow us on Facebook at “Ocmulgee National Park & Preserve Initiative” and on Twitter @ocmulgeepark for more information.
For more information and updates about the Ocmulgee Mounds National Historic Park Boundary Revision Act of 2014 (HR 4991), please visit www.ocmulgeepark.org/blog/ or follow ONPPI on Facebook and Twitter.